April 21, 2011
Once we got EVERYTHING packed and loaded into the car we were ready to begin our adventure. So we entered onto the interstate and quickly hit a wall of traffic. Thankfully we were right next to the last exit and we were able to get off. We went to Wal-Mart to kill some time. We looked up on our phones and found out there had been an accident. So we walked around Wal-Mart for 45 minutes and the roads were still not open.
We were starving! We were planning on eating at our favorite sub shop Silver Mine Subs, since we don’t have one here in town. We knew we were not going to make, so we went to Qdoba and ate there. After we finished eating we went home. I scooped the snow and Michael took a nap. Almost four hours after we first tried to leave we were finally able to hit the road.
There was far more traffic than usual on the roads but we have waited a little while to let traffic even out. We were about five miles outside of Fort Collins when we passed a sign that let us know that there was an accident 11 miles ahead. Not again! So we exited and walked around American Furniture Warehouse for about half an hour. After the accident cleared when hit the road a second time.
We were getting close to the hotel when it happened. Mr. Benjamin got tired of being in the car seat, was hungry, and just over all grumpy…and he was starting to let us know about. I cannot blame him both of us were hungry and pretty grumpy by this point too. We were about 15 minutes away. We felt so bad but we were just too close to stop. He was upset but not seriously mad so we just kept going.
FINALLY we arrived at the hotel. We checked in, got our room keys, and went to the car to unload. Michael and I loaded up everything onto a cart. I told him to just park the car and that I would take everything up. One of the desk staff was nice enough to help me out by pushing the cart up so I could just carry Ben. We got up to the room and felt relieved at finally getting there.
April 18, 2011
Michael let me know a few months ago that he was going to have two out of town conferences in one week. He did not want to be away from Ben for a whole week and we did not want to be away from him. So we decided that we would go with him to the second conference. He got home on Wednesday night and we left again on Thursday.
I have never traveled over night, let along three nights, with a baby. So I did what I always do, completely and totally over pack. Below is a list of the over packing broken down. None of this list includes the usual stock in the diaper bag which I also brought along. Have any other Moms out there traveled with a baby to a hotel? Any tips to share?
- For three night I packed four pajamas, yes four! There was a period where Ben would wake up every night and be wet all over so I thought one set for each night and one extra. I use one set.
- I packed five outfits for the trip. One for each of the three days and then two extra. I only used the three that I needed for each day.
- I packed five sets of socks and used four. He has gotten to that place where he loves to pull off his socks chew on them and then drop them on the floor. Once on the floor of a restaurant or conference center I put on new ones.
- I packed him two hooded towels and four wash clothes. I used none!! I thought that we would try swimming in the pool so I thought I would need his towels for after and a bath. I used the hotels and gave him a bath when we got home.
- Not knowing how many diapers to packed I just pulled out half a box and packed that. I used less than half of that.
- I brought a large pack wipes and I used maybe four wipes out of that whole pack. I could have just used the ones in the diaper bag.
- Not sure how many blankets I would need I packed four. I did use three of them. I put one on the bottom of the pack and play for Ben to sleep on and another one for him to use as a blanket. Then I put one more on the floor and put his changing pad on it.
- Bottles are the thing that I needed most. I packed 7 bottles and I only used five of them. I also packed a huge container of formula mix. We bought two large bottles of water to keep at room temperature to mix the bottles. I used most of the formula and the water.